Florida’s Pinellas County Schools celebrated the reopening of its updated and expanded St. Petersburg High School (SPHS). The original school, listed on National Register of Historic Places, opened in 1926 and was most recently renovated in the 1980s. Because of its status as an historic landmark, any changes to the school must meet strict guidelines to preserve its architectural style, while continuing to accommodate growing enrollment and to meet students’ modern educational needs in the 21st century.
As part of its district-wide, two-year, phased modernization program, Pinellas County Schools and SPHS leaders worked with Rowe Architects and Creative Contractors to ensure an historically appropriate, aesthetically compatible result. The project scope involved renovating 271,000 square feet of interior space including classrooms, the auditorium and the administration offices, and adding a newly built 28,000-square-foot cafeteria.
Rowe Architects specified Rockfon Artic® acoustic stone wool panels for the majority of SPHS’ interior, and Rockfon® Planar® linear metal ceiling systems for the cafeteria’s interior and its exterior extension. Rockfon’s metal and stone wool ceiling solutions deliver durable performance with minimal maintenance, contributing to the school district’s long-term cost-effective operations.
For the cafeteria, Rockfon Planar metal panels compose a distinctive ceiling design that appears continuous as the ceiling transitions from inside to outside.
St. Petersburg High School (SPHS)
St. Petersburg, Florida