Choose mildew resistant ceiling tiles for a cleaner, healthier indoor environment

What causes mold on ceilings?

Mold is a fungus that reproduces through spores that float through the air and, start growing when they land on a damp, organic substance – which can include wood, drywall and other materials used in ceiling panels. 

There are many different kinds of mold. There are black molds, brown molds, white molds, gray molds, green molds and many other colors. Usually, they look like spots and sometimes have a powdery texture. Mildew is a particular type of mold with a flat growth pattern. As mold grows and spreads, it damages and destroys the material on which it’s living.

Because our stone wool and metal ceiling products are not organic, they do not promote the growth of mold or bacteria. Through their inherent material makeup, there is no need to incorporate fungicides or antimicrobials to achieve these mold-resistant properties.

Is exposure to mold dangerous?

Exposure to mold can be potentially dangerous to people, causing skin infections, pneumonia and other airborne illnesses.1

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cautions, “If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present.”

Our water-repellent stone wool and metal ceiling tiles, panels, planks, and grids do not accumulate moisture. They do not support mold or microbial growth. They have no nutritional value and therefore provide no sustenance to harmful microorganisms like:

  • Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), bacteria resistant to antibiotics and responsible for post-surgery infections and septicaemias
  • Candida Albicans, yeast responsible for skin infections and pneumonia
  • Aspergillus Niger, mold responsible for pneumonia

North American studies show a relationship between mold and damp conditions, and health effects such as an increase in allergic reactions, and eye, nose, and throat irritation.2

Twenty-three percent of office workers experience frequent symptoms of respiratory ailments, allergies and asthma. The impact has been an increased number of sick days, lower productivity and increased medical costs. The economic impact is enormous with an estimated decrease in productivity around 2 percent nationwide at a cost of $60 billion annually.

William J. Fisk

Senior Advisor, Indoor Environment Group

How can moldy ceilings be prevented?

To prevent mold, control moisture.

Moisture often builds up inconsistently “wet” rooms like kitchens, bathrooms and pool areas. Constant dampness can be tough on the materials in the room, especially if they are made from organic materials that provide sustenance to mold.

Moisture and the mold that it fosters also are a challenge in high-humidity climates, in seasonally occupied facilities where HVAC systems are turned off during the summer, and in properties associated with the legal and health concerns of “sick building syndrome.”

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’sMold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings” guide notes:

“Since mold requires water to grow, it is important to prevent moisture problems in buildings. Moisture problems can have many causes, including uncontrolled humidity. Some moisture problems in buildings have been linked to changes in building construction practices during the 1970s, ’80s, and ’90s. Some of these changes have resulted in buildings that are tightly sealed but may lack adequate ventilation, potentially leading to moisture buildup.

Building materials, such as drywall, may not allow moisture to escape easily. Moisture problems may include roof leaks, landscaping or gutters that direct water into or under the building, and unvented combustion appliances.

Delayed maintenance or insufficient maintenance are also associated with moisture problems in schools and large buildings.”

The World Health Organization’sGuidelines on Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mould” states:

“Microbial pollution is a key element of indoor air pollution. It is caused by hundreds of species of bacteria and fungi, in particular, filamentous fungi (mould), growing indoors when sufficient moisture is available. ...The most important means for avoiding adverse health effects is the prevention (or minimization) of persistent dampness and microbial growth on interior surfaces and in building structures.”3

In addition to stone wool’s naturally water-repellent and mold and mildew-resistant properties, our complete portfolio of stone wool ceiling solutions is GREENGUARD® Gold certified. Supporting indoor air quality, the certification process ensures that a product is suitable for environments such as schools and healthcare facilities, as well taking into consideration safety factors that may impact the vulnerable such as children and seniors.





Atmospherically, we would be dealing with humidity and chlorine from the pool. …Rockfon’s ceiling panels met the project’s acoustic, light reflectance and atmospheric requirements, and the budget target.

Brian Woudstra

Business development engineer, StructureCraft Builders

Explore our ceiling product range

Visit our case study library