10 May 2017
Happy birthday to Rockfon Optimized Acoustics
Launched one year ago, Rockfon Optimized Acoustics continues its successful effort to increase the acoustic performance of interior architecture and decrease cost.
Rockfon has much to celebrate on the first birthday of Optimized Acoustics. Today, optimized acoustics practices are materializing in building designs throughout North America.
Optimized Acoustics champions an acoustics design approach whereby designers:
- First, optimize the absorption of their ceiling from one of three good-better-best categories, and
- Then, optimize the blocking (if needed) from one of three good-better-best categories.
Supporting this thoughtful approach, OptimizedAcoustics.com serves as digital hub of educational resources and tools on the acoustical performance of ceiling and wall systems. Continual improvements enhance this online experience with audio demonstrations, design tools for selecting the right NRC and STC performance levels, and product and installation details.
Along with the website, a new technical guideline, “Optimized Acoustics: Your guide to sound blocking design solutions" details how to achieve good-better-best sound blocking levels using full-height walls or plenum barriers.
Throughout the year, Optimized Acoustics team members presented research findings at industry conferences and professional meetings, such as:
- Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
- Acoustics Week Canada
- BUILDEX Vancouver
- Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) Boston Chapter
- National Council of Acoustical Consultants (NCAC) newsletter
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Industry magazines and journals also have published articles on Rockfon’s research and approach to optimized acoustics. A few examples include:
- CISCA Acoustical Interior Construction, “A Guide on the Four Categories for Acoustics Criteria in Building Standards and Guidelines”
- Construction Canada, "Optimizing Acoustics in Offices"
- Construction Specifier, “Acoustic Ceilings in Sustainable Buildings”
- Sound & Vibration, ´"Optimizing Ceiling Systems and Lightweight Plenum Barriers"
Rockfon continues to share its optimized acoustics knowledge with hundreds of architects, interior designers and acoustic consultants. Our AIA-approved continuing education course is available online or in person.
Looking ahead, optimized acoustics technical research continues and broadens in scope. Currently, a nationwide cost exercise is underway so we may provide designers with more detailed information about the cost-savings behind the optimized acoustics design approach.
Working with new technology, we also will be converting sound energy from the audio realm into the visual realm to help architects and interior designers truly see Optimized Acoustics in action. We look forward to sharing more with you in the coming months..
For more information about Optimized Acoustics, please see OptimizedAcoustics.com. If you have any additional questions, please call us at 800-323-7164, email email@example.com or click here to find a representative in your area.
> ALL NEWS